Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world.
-Abraham Lincoln
I think that this quote by Abraham Lincoln is really interesting... Interesting because although this theory may have worked back in the day when, for instance,
America was gaining it's independence from
England, I'm not sure if this theory would necessarily be applicable in today's
America. This is not to say this theory wouldn't work in other modern countries in the world -- to all those countries who are living under terrible conditions due to their government, more power to you. However,
America is an interesting case because it has become such a superpower in the world that it is hard to see the government going through a substantial change; to us, it's a big deal when the opposing party gains majority! Even if changing the party majority can be interpretted as change to the government, I'm not sure if this would necessarily "liberate the world" as well. America more or less has faced the same problems due to bipartisanship. I know this sounds really pessimistic, but I feel like this (in terms of America) is more of an idealogy.. It's seems to be a lot more difficult when practiced. I'm speaking, however, in terms of America as a whole; local governments and issue specific groups (like enviromental groups) might be a lot better at changing the world through changing the government because they know the needs of their community.
I am not sure as to whether this quote really applies to what I particularly am doing in
Sacramento; because the PUC primarily works with regulating utilities, I'm not quite sure if this is to say that we are trying to bring substantial change to the government. The PUC does work with the policy that affects the consumers, so in that sense, the PUC is ensuring the government adopts the right measures that will be most beneficial for consumers.
No comments:
Post a Comment