Literally. The part I was admittedly most afraid of (this extremely unbearable heat) has officially hit! I do believe my new best friend is the AC... & the pool, when it has not been infested by mosquitos and bees!
Anywho...
Although I am not sure as to whether this tidbit of information about the Capital would count as history, I want to share it anyways. In the door to the staircase next to the Director of Finance's office, the hall that the door opens up into doesn't have windows! It is extremely muggy in that tiny hall, and it is filled with bugs. The hall leads to the door to the actual staircase, and the staircase smells really strange and is filled with a ton of dead bugs. I just thought that it was really strange to design to the Capital building in that manner, to have a hallway that has no windows. Check it out sometime, it's kind've gross. :)
I was at the Senate Energy, Utilities, & Communications Committee Hearing yesterday (7/05), and I must admit that Senator Wright (who is a member on the committee) was the most interesting person I have observed this week, as he evidently likes to use humor to make a point. From saying things such as "evidence my foot" and making a reference to Ray Charles (and how even Ray Charles could see his point), I found his comments to be an admittedly unconventional way to strike down points of views of other people. Although it makes no difference whether I agree or disagree with his tactics, he did bring a bit of laughter in the room (because of the "oh my goodness, did he just really say that" shock factor) which definitely helped because the Senate room had been packed with people and overbearingly hot with body heat. I found him to be interesting because during orientation week, some people had made it a point to tell us that you should not take yourself too seriously, and Senator Wright definitely seemed to embody that yesterday.
Unfortunately, I haven't worked on much thus far. I was in committee hearings all day Tuesday and had to leave early for class. Today will probably prove to become a little more interesting, we have our legislative subcommittee with the San Francisco office later today, and we will establish our office's recommended position on several bills, including the bill that I have been working on!
Adjusting to full-time, office life has been a different experience. I will not say that is has been easy adjusting to such a change, but being exposed to it has definitely been an necessary eyeopener. What has admittedly proven itself to be the most challenging aspect of working full-time is the times when I am waiting: waiting for someone to respond to an email so that I can continue a project, waiting for the next meeting to come, or simply waiting for a new project to be assigned to me. Because it's very quiet in this office, waiting can grow quite tiresome. However, with that aside, there are many beneficial aspects of working as a full time intern. Although this may seem a bit strange, I think that it is so cool that I have my own cubicle, computer, and load of office supplies in my little space. It makes me feel like I'm actually part of this office! Another cool aspect of being a full-time intern is the fact that I have the oppurtunity to attend all of the lobbyist meetings and committee hearings with the rest of the OGA staff; I get to experience all aspects of this office and the work they do here.
Until next time!
Jaimie
I know waiting can be tough, but just try to be proactive and read Capitol news online, or documents you're given, etc. I'm glad you are able to observe lots of hearings-they teach you alot!
ReplyDeleteHope you have a good week!
-Angela